Operations Manager East Africa [Gold]
Preferred location: Nairobi
The Impact Facility (TIF) is recruiting an experienced individual for a position as Operations Manager East Africa to guide the implementation of the Lake Victoria Gold Programme, our multi-donor programme work investing into artisanal and small-scale gold mining operations in Kenya, Uganda, and Tanzania.
An international non-profit, TIF is a global sustainability organisation that seeks to bring economic and environmental empowerment to mining economies across East Africa, with special focus on artisanal and small-scale gold mining communities in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
TIF’s purpose is to provide mining communities with access to technical assistance, formal markets, capital and equipment that enable the building of diverse local economies through viable and thriving small- and medium-sized businesses. We pursue business-driven engagement between value chain partners to build viable long-term sourcing relationships.
Our vision is for communities endowed with mineral wealth to have the means to grow a sustainable and just economy that is catalysed by – rather than relying on – mining. The Impact Facility has offices in Nairobi, Kenya; Kolwezi, DRC, Gloucestershire, UK and Amsterdam, the Netherlands – but we are used to accommodating operating remotely.
The position of Operations Manager East African will be based in Nairobi, Kenya. Across Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania, TIF collaborates with partners to identify, build the capacity, and invest in equipment provision for ASGM operations. TIF leverages both donor financing as well as investment capital, aiming to build a self-sustaining enterprise to last beyond the life time of current donor programmes.
Building on four years of pilots and partnership building, our team is focused on further developing and scaling equipment leasing services to artisanal miners across the region.
Investing into ASGM operations, we seek to improve the production capacity and profitability, leveraging our investment to catalyse much-needed social and environmental improvements – creating dignified, safer, and well-paying employment opportunities for rural miners.
As Operations Manager for East Africa you will be responsible for the overall management of various donor programmes as well as overseeing the development of TIF’s leasing operations across the region.
TIF is seeking a professional with a business background and experience in programme management, interested to work within a large multi-year multi-donor and investment programme to improve the lives of artisanal miners in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania. You will report to David Sturmes, Director Programme Development and Strategic Partnerships, and work with our global team.
Your Main Responsibilities
- Coordinate, lead and grow the TIF Kenya Team
- Manage the timely execution of programmatic activities and donor budgets
- Monthly financial and impact reporting for the different programmes
- Manage the business model development and roll out of leasing and financial services to ASGM operations
- Prepare qualitative and quantitative reporting to donors and investors
- In collaboration with TIF senior international staff, support the development of a strategic vision, programme priorities and proposals for our work in the region
- Contribute to the development and implementation of a regional fundraising and partnership plan
- Develop and cultivate relationships and partnerships across East Africa with key actors, including government agencies, NGOs, commercial partners, service providers and financial institutions
- Representing TIF locally, regionally, and internationally and supporting communication efforts
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 4+ years’ relevant professional experience in mining, equipment leasing microfinance or business development
- Background in programme management (and implementation) as well as relevant business experience
- Experience in the ASGM sector is a plus
- English Fluency (both written and spoken)
- Swahili Fluency (both written and spoken)
- Educated to Bachelors / Masters degree
- Excellent (digital) communication and presentation skills;
- Extremely organised and detailed worker with excellent project and time management skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook).
What we can offer you
This is a chance to work with and learn from a very experienced team and to contribute to a fascinating, influential, and potentially ground-breaking project professionalizing the ASGM sector and driving rural development through impact investing.
- A contract for 32-40 hours per week;
- Start date: August – October 2021
- A competitive salary, commensurate with experience; Salary range: KES 250k – 300k (net per month)
- Occasional travel across East Africa and to Europe;
- Diverse, exciting, and impactful work collaborating with the private sector;
- Being part of a dynamic and experienced international team passionate about serving its clients to build successful responsible businesses, and committed to corporate sustainability, human rights and social change.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV (incl. 3 references) and a cover letter to:
David Sturmes at
Job first posted: Jun 24th, 2021
Submission deadline: open ended; applications will be reviewed on a continual basis. Shortlisted applicants will be invited to an interview.
Learn More About The Impact Facility
Project Access: Professionalizing ASGM in Kenya and Uganda:
Further reading material:
Unlocking Finance for Artisanal and Small-Scale Gold Mining: